• Teach Beyond Recruitment

Can I Enter Hong Kong During Covid?

Can I Enter Hong Kong During Covid?
Hong Kong Skyline

The short answer is yes! You can still currently enter Hong Kong to teach English. The slightly longer answer is that it’s going to take a bit more time and commitment than it would under normal circumstances, but don’t worry we’re here to talk you through the process and to let you know what is required of you.

As in normal times the minimum requirements to teach English in Hong Kong are to possess a Bachelors Degree in any discipline, a 120-Hour TEFL Certification ( we could help with that if you don’t) and to be a native English speaker. Also, as at any other time you will need a working visa under the General Employment Scheme to work in Hong Kong. However, unlike in regular circumstances you cannot enter Hong Kong until that visa is issued. Previously, you would be legally allowed to enter Hong Kong on a tourist visa at any time and take some time to settle in and explore while your working visa was being processed. Under the current restrictions, only Hong Kong Residents can enter Hong Kong. I can already hear you saying “But I’m not a Hong Kong resident!”. No need to fear, as soon as that working visa is issued you are officially classified as a Non-Permanent Resident of Hong Kong, and can enter your new home. The Immigration Department in Hong Kong is running at full capacity and the process takes an average of 4 weeks to complete.

However, this is where the real commitment to pursuing your new adventure in Hong Kong begins. A big factor in Hong Kong’s ability to keep cases of Covid-19 at low levels throughout the pandemic has been the requirement for those entering Hong Kong to undergo 14 days of quarantine on arrival. In most cases this will involve booking yourself into a hotel for your first 2 weeks here. In some cases you will have to provide proof of a negative Covid test result conducted within 72 hours prior to your flight. This is dependant on whether the country you are flying from is on Hong Kong’s list of High Risk Countries. At the time of writing this includes; the USA, UK and South Africa. You can keep an eye on this as well the latest news and requirements via the Hong Kong Government website.

So, that’s the long and short of it. Even in usual times, relocating across to the world to teach English is never a decision to take lightly, but for those who have the willingness and commitment, your dream can still become a reality. Teach Beyond Recruitment will be with you through every step of the process, so if you are interested why not take the first step towards your next adventure and APPLY NOW!

170 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All